Let's Get Those Hands Dirty (in a Good Way!)

Let's Get Those Hands Dirty!

My dream is to live in a world where my house isn't the only one on the block with colors other than grass green and asphalt blue (because that's boring!).

Sunday, April 20, 2014

The Winter of My Discontent

This may have been the longest winter in Maine history and thus explains my abstinence from blogging (nothing to report when the yard is consistently covered in snow).   While other states were enjoying the color of new blooms and mowing their lawns, we were still waiting for the snow to melt.  There are a few hearty crocuses making an attempt in my front lawn, but they will probably go by before we have a chance to properly pay our respects.  I bet we'll see a short spring and then a long hot summer before we know it.

It was warm enough this weekend to finally go outside and begin sweeping out the considerable amount of sand left behind by plow trucks. There are the stubborn oak leaves that fell after the first snow that will need to be cleared as well.  While it's tempting to complain about the volumes of snow we received, it should be noted that snow acts as an insulator for your plants and shrubs and, when it melts, is a good source of moisture so that they don't dry out.  Better to have too much snow than not enough.

The egg is put back together here to show the teeth or claw marks.
 The squirrel must have cracked this egg like a walnut;
the tin foil was next to it, but the candy was long gone.
And while I should have been doing more actual yard work outside I had to take a break and hide a few Easter eggs for my teenage daughter who hates to leave childhood behind. By the time she had gotten around to looking for the eggs, just about 2 hours later, one of our neighborhood squirrels had managed to get one of the hidden eggs open, eat the candy inside, and leave the colored tin foil behind.

I'm a little worried that there is a sad squirrel out there somewhere with a terrible stomach ache and wonder why a squirrel would be tempted by 2 Rolos and a Hershey kiss?  I guess it was a long winter for them, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment